Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 

What is this about?

My grandfather, Jack, and my grandmother, Madge, were great 'keepers' of the little things that are often lost from family history. As they met during the Great War of 1914-1918, I have an accumulation of bits-and-pieces pertaining to that era and it is these that I will be presenting in here.

These fragments were kept in two wooden boxes (a Saxon nail box and a Darling Downs Co-operative bacon box) in the shed of the house where my father now lives, and only came to light when Dad was searching for a particular piece of sheet music. So he passed them on to me for sorting and preservation. I figure that showing them to 'the world' is one method of preservation that should not be ignored.

Besides the 1914-1918 stuff, the boxes contained; photographs taken when Jack and Madge were getting to know each other, newspaper clippings about my grandmother's family and friends back in the UK, cards sent to my father and uncles by their grandparents during childhood, postcards from family holidays in the UK, and photographs of family and friends (not always clearly identified).

Comments:
Tapperboy, the originals will go eventually to the Oxley Library in Brisbane. Copies of the Australian stuff will go to the Sandgate and District Historical Society, and copies of the English stuff will go to the Pinner Local History Society and the Devon Family History Society.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?